Friday, May 15, 2009

13.1 Miles!

When I decided to have bariatric surgery, Larry talked me into signing up for Indianapolis' Mini Marathon. The Indy mini is held the first weekend in May every year and is the kickoff to the 500 festival and all of the activities surrounding the Indianapolis 500. It's the largest mini marathon in the country - 35,000 people participate every year. Larry's has done it the past several year and I enthusiastically told him I would sign up. Well, about 2 months ago I was like, "why in the heck did I agree to this?" I have been working out, but hadn't been formally training for the 13.1 mile trek. I was paranoid I wouldn't finish in the 4 hours time frame and would have to get picked up by the slow bus. I definitely would have backed out if it hadn't been for the fact that my Aunt Karon was flying in from California for the mini. How could I drop out when she had bought her plane ticket and was flying all the way here just to do this with us? Well, thank goodness I didn't, because we did it, in 3 hours and 45 minutes, and had a great time! What a sense of accomplishment it was to run across that finish line (we walked the whole thing, but ran the last .25 miles for the photos - ha!). It was me, Larry, Aunt Karon, Erin, and Erin's mom, Donna participating. We met up with Aunt Karon's friend, Paula too. We're doing it again next year and my goal is to run half of it. Me, chubby Sarah, running? Who would have ever thought I would have that goal?



Me and Larry:




I did it!


After picture: Donna, Erin, Larry, Karon, me




Before: me, Larry, Donna, Erin, Karon




"You can do anything you wish to do, have anything you wish to have, be anything you wish to be." ~Robert Collier




No comments: